KHARTOUM, Sudan — As World Humanitarian Day approaches on August 19, Sudan stands at the center of an increasingly urgent international question: whether the world can translate expressions of concern into meaningful action capable of protecting civilians, humanitarian workers and communities struggling to survive more than three years of war.
The conflict that erupted in April 2023 between the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has developed into what the United Nations describes as the world’s largest humanitarian crisis. By April 2026, nearly 34 million people inside Sudan required humanitarian assistance, while more than 4.5 million people had fled across the country’s borders. Millions more have been displaced internally, leaving families separated and communities struggling with hunger, disease, insecurity and the collapse of essential public services.
The human consequences extend well beyond displacement. The World Health Organization reported in April that approximately 21 million people required health assistance and more than four million were estimated to be acutely malnourished in 2026. Disease outbreaks, including malaria, measles, dengue and hepatitis E, have placed additional pressure on a health system already severely damaged by fighting and shortages of medicines, personnel and funding.
United Nations officials have repeatedly warned that civilians are bearing the greatest burden. Denise Brown, the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Sudan, said in April that the country was experiencing suffering “far beyond what any civilian population should bear,” pointing to the destruction of homes, hospitals, schools and markets and the growing danger posed by strikes in populated areas.
Humanitarian personnel attempting to assist those communities are themselves facing extraordinary dangers. UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher told the Security Council in April that more than 1,010 aid workers had been killed worldwide during the previous three years, including 130 in Sudan. The death toll was almost three times that recorded during the preceding three-year period.
The danger facing humanitarian operations has direct consequences for ordinary Sudanese civilians. When aid workers are killed, detained or prevented from reaching communities, food distributions can stop, medical assistance can be interrupted and displaced families can lose access to shelter, clean water and other essential services. International humanitarian law requires parties to armed conflicts to respect and protect civilians as well as humanitarian and medical personnel and to facilitate humanitarian relief for people in need.
The United Nations has also documented repeated attacks affecting Sudan’s health system. In March, Secretary-General António Guterres condemned a deadly drone strike on El-Daein Teaching Hospital in East Darfur. At that time, the World Health Organization had verified more than 200 attacks affecting health facilities in Sudan since the beginning of the conflict, resulting in more than 2,000 deaths. The Secretary-General called on the parties to de-escalate the fighting and pursue a lasting ceasefire and an inclusive political process.
Humanitarian agencies maintain that international assistance can still save substantial numbers of lives if organizations receive sufficient funding and safe access to affected populations. “Right now, needs are outpacing our ability to respond – and that gap is measured in human lives,” International Organization for Migration Director General Amy Pope warned in April. She called for sustained international support to reach vulnerable communities before conditions deteriorate further.
Fletcher has delivered an equally forceful assessment of the international response. “We need action now – to stop the violence, protect civilians, ensure access to communities in greatest danger, and fund the response,” he said as Sudan entered its fourth year of conflict. He described the continuing catastrophe as a test that the international community has so far failed to meet.
World Humanitarian Day, observed annually on August 19, places renewed attention on precisely these challenges. The United Nations’ 2026 #ActForHumanity campaign is calling on governments and parties to conflicts to protect civilians and humanitarian personnel, permit safe and rapid humanitarian access, investigate alleged violations and strengthen accountability under international law. The UN reports that at least 326 humanitarian workers were killed across 21 countries in 2025, pushing the three-year global toll beyond 1,000.
For Sudan, however, international solidarity will ultimately be measured not by statements alone but by whether civilians receive food and medical care, humanitarian workers can operate safely, diplomatic pressure contributes to ending hostilities and those responsible for serious violations are held accountable. UN human rights expert Radhouane Nouicer has warned against international indifference, saying Sudanese civilians have endured years of killings, sexual violence, starvation and trauma. “The international community must not remain idle and close its eyes,” he said.
The world therefore has mechanisms through which it can help save innocent lives in Sudan: stronger diplomacy for an end to hostilities, sustained humanitarian financing, protection of relief operations, enforcement of international humanitarian law and support for credible accountability processes. What remains uncertain is whether governments and parties with influence over the conflict will act with the urgency that Sudan’s civilians require. As another World Humanitarian Day arrives, Sudan’s crisis presents the international community with a fundamental test—not simply of its ability to provide aid, but of its willingness to protect human life when millions depend upon collective action.




