Washington, D.C. President Donald Trump has announced that the United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, a decision that has raised questions and confusion over shifting US military deployments across Europe.
The announcement came Thursday and appeared to reverse recent moves by the Trump administration to reduce US troop presence on the continent.
Mixed signals on US troop deployments in Europe
The new deployment follows a series of contradictory decisions in recent weeks. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had previously halted a planned rotation of a US combat brigade to Poland and ordered reductions in other deployments across Europe, citing frustration with European NATO allies over defense spending and burden sharing.
The Pentagon decision included canceling the rotation of the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division—about 4,700 soldiers—as well as removing a long-range missile battalion from Germany.
Earlier this month, Trump also announced plans to withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany, further fueling concerns among NATO allies about the US long-term commitment in Europe.
Poland at the center of US strategy shift
Despite those reductions, Trump said the new troops would be sent to Poland, a key NATO member and major logistical hub for military aid to Ukraine.
“Based on the successful election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki… I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 troops to Poland,” Trump said in a post, referring to what he described as his strong relationship with the Polish leader.
Poland currently hosts around 10,000 US troops, and it remains unclear whether the new announcement will increase the overall total or simply replace previously canceled rotations.
Polish officials downplay major changes
Polish officials responded cautiously, suggesting that the announcement may not significantly alter the existing US military presence.
Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski thanked Trump, saying the US presence in Poland would remain “more or less at previous levels.”
Defense Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz also said Poland was not losing troops, noting that the country would continue hosting around 10,000 US soldiers.
NATO reaction and US justification
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, attending a NATO meeting in Sweden, defended the broader approach, saying troop movements were part of ongoing global adjustments.
He emphasized that the changes were “not a punitive thing” but part of how the US manages global military commitments.
NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte welcomed the announcement but reiterated that the alliance’s long-term goal is a “stronger Europe and a stronger NATO” that is less dependent on a single ally.
Growing uncertainty over US military posture
The conflicting announcements have created uncertainty among NATO allies, especially as Poland continues to serve as a critical hub for Western military aid to Ukraine since Russia’s invasion in 2022.
In 2023, the US formally established US Army Garrison Poland, strengthening its long-term military presence in the country.
However, critics in Washington have questioned the Pentagon’s recent decisions, with some Republican lawmakers arguing that sudden cancellations of troop deployments without consultation risk undermining trust with allies.
As debates continue, it remains unclear how the US will balance troop reductions in Western Europe with increased presence in Eastern Europe, leaving NATO partners watching closely for further clarification from Washington.


