Washington DC – Paul Rusesabagina, who previously sought forgiveness from the President of Rwanda and pledged to stay away from Rwandan politics, is once again facing accusations of misleading the international community after making new claims about his arrest and detention in Rwanda.
Rusesabagina, who was released in March 2023 through a presidential pardon after serving part of a 25-year prison sentence for terrorism-related crimes, recently told his supporters that Rwandan authorities had allegedly attempted to recruit him into the government following his arrest.
In a letter dated October 14, 2022, requesting clemency from the President, Rusesabagina wrote that he no longer sought any personal or political interests and intended to leave matters related to Rwandan politics behind him. That request eventually led to his release on March 24, 2023.
However, his recent remarks have raised questions among observers, with critics arguing that his latest statements contradict many of the claims he previously made during court proceedings, media interviews, and public appearances.
Among Rusesabagina’s new assertions was the claim that while detained in Rwanda, other individuals were being held in nearby rooms. In earlier statements and during legal proceedings, however, he repeatedly suggested that he had been held alone.
He also alleged that officials from the Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB) and prosecutors visited him during his detention and offered him senior government positions if he agreed to cooperate with the Rwandan administration.
According to Rusesabagina, the officials allegedly told him that he could choose to become an ambassador, a minister, or even vice president, with the only unavailable position being that of President of the Republic.
Rwandans, along with critics and analysts, have strongly rejected these allegations, describing them as fabricated stories intended to impress his audience. They note that such claims had never appeared in court testimony, family statements, media interviews, or any of the letters Rusesabagina previously wrote.
Analysts also questioned why Rwanda would allegedly offer constitutional positions to a man convicted of terrorism-related crimes, especially when some of the positions he referenced do not even exist within Rwanda’s political structure.
Rwandan observers and experts described the allegations as “pure fabrication,” questioning how someone could claim to have been offered the position of vice president when Rwanda does not have such an office in its system of governance.
One analyst further questioned why a suspect facing prosecution would allegedly be rewarded with senior political positions instead of going through legal proceedings.
Rusesabagina additionally claimed that after refusing the offers, he was driven around Kigali and shown Rwanda’s development projects while being asked why he opposed a country focused on rebuilding itself and protecting its people.
Observers have dismissed the account as unrealistic, arguing that criminal suspects are not normally taken on guided tours while in detention.
He also alleged that when he was presented to the media at RIB headquarters, he was in poor physical condition and nearly collapsed due to mistreatment. Critics, however, say these statements differ from accounts he had given previously.
Reports from individuals familiar with his detention conditions stated that while he was held at Remera Police Station, he was allowed to select meals from hotel menus and even request wine if he wished.
According to accounts from people who visited him, hotel food was regularly delivered to his detention facility based on his personal meal choices. One individual who spoke with local newspapers recalled sharing fruit with Rusesabagina during a visit and said he appeared to be treated well.
Rusesabagina also claimed that prison conditions were harsh, that he rarely interacted with fellow inmates, and that he was allowed only one hour outside each day for sunlight.
Former inmates and visitors to Kigali Prison in Mageragere, however, reportedly disputed those claims, stating that he lived under better conditions than many other prisoners. They said he stayed in a room furnished with books, a bed, and chairs for visitors, and that he appeared to have no major complaints.
Another disputed claim involved his assertion that he was held in a small room without windows. Journalists who previously visited him reportedly documented that his room contained open windows that allowed natural light inside.
Rusesabagina also claimed that on the day of his release, Radio Rwanda announced that Parliament and the Senate had convened to approve his freedom.
That statement has also been challenged as inaccurate because his release came through a presidential pardon issued by the President of the Republic. Rwanda’s Parliament does not participate in decisions concerning the release of prisoners.



